How can you make a difference?
Support our most vulnerable people in having the means to overcome barriers and participate in meaningful opportunities to enhance their wellbeing.
By donating to the Good Sheppard Donor program we will ensure all funds received go towards supporting programs, services and resources to aid at-risk, vulnerable, or persons in crisis with the means to overcome barriers that inhibit them from participating in their community in a meaningful way.
The Good Sheppard Donor program is in honor of Barb Sheppard, who donated her entire career to serving others and making a difference in the lives of so many people in Central Alberta.
Barb Sheppard’s Legacy
Barb Sheppard is a long-term resident of the city of Red Deer who is known for her dedication to serving her fellow community members, especially those most at-risk, through both her personal and professional pursuits. Barb started her career in Red Deer in the mid-1970’s as a residential aide working with developmentally disabled adults at the Michener Center, and while her career path took a different route, she maintained her service to this population as a board member of the Society of Parents and Friends of Michener Center for almost 2 decades.
In the 1980’s Barb embarked on, what was at the time, a new industry, the career development field, where she spent almost 40 years helping individuals with barriers to employment seek, secure and maintain meaningful careers. Barb’s contributions to the career development field in Red Deer are extensive. She worked as an employment consultant at both Excel Career Services and Employment Placement and Support Services before opening her own business, Career Assistance Network which she operated from 1996 until her retirement in 2016. Through her efforts 1000’s of individuals in the Central Alberta region have experienced increased confidence and self-sufficiency through employment.
In addition to her professional pursuits, barb’s passion for supporting and serving others is evident in her contributions to numerous community organizations and boards including:
- Member of Safe Harbour Society, 2008 – 2016
- Member of Society of Parents & Friends of Michener Center, 2001 – 2016
- Member board of directors, Canadian Mental Health, 2001 – 2004
- Vice chairman, board of directors, Michener Centre, 1998 – 2001
- Friends of the Raiders Parent Advisory Committee, 1993 – 1995
- Scouts Canada, youth leader & regional trainer, 20+ years
Barb’s extensive contributions to the citizens of Red Deer have been acknowledged through various awards and commendations including the premiere’s award of excellence and the 2009 woman of excellence award. Barb will always be remembered as an exceptional service provider who dedicated her career to serving others and for her passion to assist the most vulnerable among us.
Ways to Give
- One time monetary donation – you can make a onetime monetary contribution in any amount that you wish. We will ensure you receive a tax receipt at the time of your donation.
- Reoccurring monetary donation – you can setup a reoccurring amount that you would like to donate and we will ensure a donation receipt is mailed out annually.
- Memorial/planned giving – you can donate in celebration of a loved one or as a lasting legacy contribution
We can accept check, cash, debit, credit and e-transfers.
Donations can be made by stopping in at our main office or by completing the online donation form (Online form coming soon!). All donations will be kept confidential unless you would like to be recognized on our website.
For more information about how you can make a difference please contact us!